The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) intends to award comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/or intending to further their studies in identified careers in the agricultural, forestry and fisheries sectors for the 2020 academic year. The bursary will cover tuition, accommodation, books, meals and monthly allowance. The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons from poverty.
Successful candidates will be appointed as interns and placed with the relevant industry/research institution/s of higher learning as young professionals. Successful candidates will also be allocated a mentor and will receive a monthly allowance from the department for accommodation and meals.
All applicants must meet the following requirements for their designated fields of study.
Mathematics & Physical Science (60-69)
- B.Sc. Majoring in Ichthyology/Fisheries Science
- B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology
- B.Sc. Marine Biology
- B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science
- B.Sc. Entomology
- B.Sc. Food Science
- B.Sc. Plant Pathology
- B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology
Mathematics & Physical Science (70-79)
- B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering)
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.)
Mathematics & Physical Science (50-59)
- National Diploma: Food Technology
- National Diploma: Forestry
- National Diploma: Marine Science
Postgraduate studies (B.Tech, B.Sc., Hons. M.Tech., M.Sc., D.Tech. and Ph.D.) in different agricultural, forestry and fisheries fields of study relating to DAFF priority research projects.
It is worth noting that certain fields of study are only available at certain institutions of higher learning:
- B.Sc. Majoring in Ichthyology/Fisheries Science: Rhodes University
- B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology: University of Cape Town
- B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science: University of Stellenbosch
- B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology/Plant Pathology: University of Stellenbosch
- B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering): University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.): University of Pretoria
- National Diploma: Food Technology: Durban University of Technology, Tshwane University of Technology, Cape Peninsula University of Technology and University of Johannesburg
- National Diploma: Forestry: Nelson Mandela University
- National Diploma: Marine Science: Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Applicants must be South African citizens.
- Applicants must complete the relevant bursary application forms available from the website address: www.daff.gov.za (Click on vacancies).
- Applicants who apply for fields of study that are not listed above will not be considered.
- Please note that communication will be limited to successful applicants only. If you have not received any communication from the department by 22 January 2020 after the National Bursary Committee has finalised the selection process, consider your application unsuccessful.
- No faxed/e-mailed application forms will be considered.
- No late application forms will be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
All completed bursary application forms together with certified copies of ID and certificates/performance results should be sent to the following address:
Directorate: Sector Education and Training
Department of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries
Private Bag X250
Closing date for all applications: 30 September 2019
For further enquiries, please contact: Mr Vusimuzi Mngomezulu (012 319 7923) OR Ms Silindelo Dlomo (012 319 7848)