Every year, the City offers financial support to help students cover the costs for registration, examinations and class fees. If you would like to apply, you can follow the steps below.
- External financial bursaries are only open to residents of South Africa, who live within the Cape Metropolitan Area.
- Prospective applicants must not be in possession of any other form of financial assistance (e.g. National Student Financial Aid Scheme).
- You must be completing Grade 12 and be registered to study an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at either Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT), the University of Cape Town (UCT), the University of the Western Cape (UWC) or Stellenbosch University.
- Your degree must be in the field predetermined and advertised by the City as being a scarce skill.
- Submitted applications will not be acknowledged in writing and copies of supporting documents will not be returned.
How to Apply
Step 1: Download an application form or collect one from your nearest City library or from the following Walk-in Centres:
- Bellville Walk-in Centre
- Brackenfell Walk-in Centre
- Cape Town Walk-in Centre
- Parow Municipal Building
- Plumstead Walk-in Centre
- Strand Walk-in Centre
Step 2: Once you have completed the form, you can submit it along with all the supporting documentation to any of the Walk-in Centres listed above.
Supporting documentation to include the following:
- A registration letter or provisional acceptance letter from your approved tertiary institution
- If you have matriculated, include a copy of your matric certificate
- A certified copy of your June 2019, Grade 12 results
- Any recommendations from teachers, mentors and peers
- Awards and certificates you have won
- The contact details of two people who can be called on as references
- A certified copy of your ID and that of your parent/guardian
- Proof of residence
- Payslip / certified proof of Government grant (if applicable)
- Any work you have already done in the field in which you are planning to study
Step 3: If your application is successful, you will be contacted by the City. If you have not received a response by 28 November 2019, kindly accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
Closing Date 19 September 2019
Note: Incomplete submissions, those with no supporting documents and those received after the closing date, will not be considered.
HR Service Desk
Email: [email protected]
City Call Centre
Telephone: 0860 103 089