The Internship is for six (6) months at UNEP Pretoria Office. The Internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week (35 to 40 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
Things to note
- In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, applicants may be requested to undertake the internship remotely in view of constraints regarding visa issuance, international travel and access to UN premises.
- Applicants must be willing and prepared to undertake the internship remotely for a part or the entirety of the internship.
- The work hours during the internship shall be determined based on individual discussion between the intern and the supervisor(s) taking into consideration the minimum requirements of the Organization and the time difference between the hosting office and the location of the intern.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the UNEP/Pretoria Office, the intern will:
- Support project management, including backstopping implementation of project activities and monitoring, related to the GEF Biodiversity focal area.
- Carry out basic research and surveys.
- Assist with organizing workshops and various virtual or face-to-face meetings, and prepare meeting agendas, summaries, minutes and follow up communications as required.
- Assist in the development of communication and outreach materials such as stories, social media posts and newsletters highlighting the work and results of UNEP South Africa Office.
- Undertake any additional duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Head of UNEP South Africa office, and in accordance with the Interns’ interests and experience.
- Team Work
- Client Orientation
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Studies in Communications, Media, Political Science, or Environment related topics preferred.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
10 March 2021 @12:00