The South African Revenue Service (SARS) is currently seeking to fill nine Consultant positions in its Voluntary Disclosure Unit.
The unit is responsible for handling voluntary disclosures from taxpayers who wish to disclose information about their undeclared income or assets to the tax authority.
The recruitment drive presents an excellent opportunity for skilled professionals to join SARS and contribute to the country’s tax collection efforts.
Position: Consultant (X9)
Industry: Public Service
Location: Pretoria, Gauteng), ZA
Salary: Market related
Employer: South African Revenue Service (SARS)
To consider VDP applications and grant relief of voluntary disclosures speedily and efficiently by way of voluntary disclosure agreements.
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree/ Advanced Diploma (NQF7) in Law, Accounting or Taxation and 5-7 years’ experience in a tax environment, of which 2-3 years ideally at functional specialist level. OR
- Senior Certificate (NQF 4) AND 10 years related tax experience in Law, Accounting or Taxation and 5-7 years’ experience in a tax environment, of which 2-3 years ideally at functional specialist level.
- SKILLED technical & academically qualified junior operational management / operational specialists
- Accumulate information to review work progress that provides input into reporting, decision making and the identification of improvement opportunities.
- Apply practical and applied knowledge and act authoritatively on methods, systems, and procedures to identify trends and potential risks.
- Communication of situational interpretation and judgement of work outputs and queries in area of specialisation.
- Correctly apply policies, practices, standards, procedures, and legislation in the delivery of work outputs.
- Draw on own knowledge and experience to diagnose symptoms, causes and possible effects in order to solve emerging problems.
- Initiate process and procedural change, implement the change and provide guidelines and support related to new requirements as a result of the change.
- Plan for value added process improvements, initiatives, and services to deliver on operational strategy and objectives.
- Provide specialist input through the investigation of opportunities for operational and multiple process, product, and risk optimisation.
- Compile Statistical reports applicable to the area of specialisation.
- Conduct research to investigate the facts and legal implications of cases in order to make recommendations.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with peers and SARS role players to achieve predefined objectives.
- Facilitate various VDP proceedings convened in terms of legislation and rules promulgated under the applicable Acts with applicants and their representatives in order to reach an agreement effectively, efficiently, and cost-effectively.
- To research both facts and Law pertaining to a VDP application including liaising with the relevant business areas with a view to seeking understanding and insights.
- To provide recommendations to the relevant Debt committee to determine collectability of taxes due.
- To assist in raising the necessary assessments to give effect to the VDP agreements.
- To draft VDP agreements, have these agreements signed and to assist with ensuring that agreements reached during VDP proceedings are given effect to.
- To ensure that the decisions of governance structures (e.g., collections Committee) are fully carried out.
- To assist with strengthening the VDU.
- Analytical Thinker
- Attention to Detail
- Building Sustainability
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Conceptual Ability
- Developing Others
- Organisational Awareness
- Problem Solving and Analysis
How to Apply
14 April 2023